mental attitude

Cindy, If I were you, I wouldn't give up on this mare yet. She sounds as
though she's in great shape from your P & R's. The first two babies that I
raised were slow to develop a competitive edge, and like you, I conditioned
them alone. I think you may be surprised at how competetive she may get.
The hills are another factor. Do you normally condition in hilly country?
or were the hills a lot bigger than she is used to? She may have been
discouraged early on by a condition she wasn't used to. Hang in there for a
while. She certainly sounds as though she's physically ready. I think the
mental attitude will develop, and if it doesn't, you still have a very
marketable horse. Just think how much worse off you'd be if you had a
gung-ho, crazy horse who was not physically capable of doing the distance!

Dorothy & Bob
Hi Tech Tack
Oroville, CA