Re: mental attitude

Dorothy Foster wrote:

> Cindy, If I were you, I wouldn't give up on this mare yet. She sounds as
> though she's in great shape from your P & R's. The first two babies that I
> raised were slow to develop a competitive edge, and like you, I conditioned
> them alone.

I must say that I agree with Dorothy!

One of our horses would simply insist on turning around to head for home at 20
miles!  (He was definitely in shape & recovering well.)  Unfortunately, there
is NO WAY to tell a horse that it was shorter to the next vet check, the
trailer, etc. by going forward.  (Wouldn't it be nice to be able to tell your
horse - only 50 miles this time, or "Pace yourself, it's a three day 150"?)  He
was not interested in "competing" with the crowd for nearly half a season.  He
suddenly "caught the bug" then and has more heart than good sense now.  He is
so eager to go & to please that the rider needs to watch him closely to see
that he doesn't overextend himself in his competitive nature.

I'd give the mare some more time competing, expose her to rides in terrain that
mimics her training area as much as possible, and ride her with groups whenever
posible for the exposure to lots of horses.

Linda Flemmer