Re: prompting

In a message dated 98-04-14 09:32:29 EDT, lb@nismat.org writes:

<< I agree with
 Joe that there is nota  substantial difference between using radio
 communications and meeting up with your crew at various points during
 the race, and I don't think either method of gathering  tactical
 information violates the spirit of the event.  What does everyone
 else think?
 Beth >>

I personally think it both detracts from the idea of the rider interacting one
on one with the horse and can give those with access to the technology an
unfair advantage, as on most rides in my area there is NOT crew accessibility
to a lot of the trail.  I find it equally offensive when crew members go to
great lengths to meet riders on course when there is ample water provided,
etc., etc.  As a ride manager I work hard to ensure as level a playing field
as possible.  As much as I think FEI is sometimes cluttered with rules, I
think their outlawing of such communication is in keeping with the spirit of
the sport.  I do like Ramey's idea of having the cell phone in a sealed pack;
you have it in case of emergency, but once you break the seal, you are out of
the competition.

Heidi