Re: Prompting by definition -Spirit of Endurance

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:40:35 -0600, renegade12@juno.com (Randy H Eiland)
wrote:

>Now, I know that I am wrong more times than I am right, but when I look
>at Rule 6 k. where it states in black and white, "....or a person other
>than another entrant...." and then I look at the definition of
>"prompting", I can't help but think that a crew giving instructions to
>the rider, urging their rider to pick up the pace, telling their rider
>where the competition is and how it looks,, inspiring their rider...
>definitely can be interpreted as "prompting", and radio contact certainly
>goes beyond the definition of  "ordinary support services of attendants
>and pit crews".  Also, Rule 6 k.  was written in a way that
>differentiates  "pacing" from "prompting"  since they are both mentioned
>in the same sentence with "or" between them.  I think we all know the
>definition of "pacing" and it is a substantially different activity than
>"prompting", and neither are allowed by Rule 6 k.

>I will say this, if the majority of the AERC membership is in favor of
>these activities, then I say majority rules...but I can't help but think
>our membership is not in favor or either activity.

I hope to hear from others on this subject, but I'd like to add a few
comments.

The definition of "prompting" must be taken in context.  I believe that
rule 6k clearly refers to prompting *of the horse*.  I do not believe it
was ever intended to be applied to the rider.

Historically, the rule came about due to a controversy at a ride where
some people unloaded fresh horses from a trailer and rode along with
some of the competing riders the last ten or fifteen miles.  One result
was that the competing horses increased their pace above what it had
been prior to being joined by the fresh horses.

As crew members meeting their rider at accessible points along the trail
(sometimes quite frequently in rides that are mostly along roads) is
acceptable, I do not see a substantive difference between this and radio
contact.

Personally, I have no desire to maintain radio contact with my crew.
I've had the capability of doing so for many years and chosen not to.
The only time I carried a radio on a ride was when I was both competing
and assisting with ride management, and I did so to provide ride
managment with information -- carrying the radio was a hassle.  But I
don't have a problem with anyone who wishes to do this, and I do not
believe that it is prohibited by rule 6k.

Of course, if the AERC Board has ruled otherwise, I must respect that,
but I'd like more information on the ruling.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net