Prompting by definition -Spirit of Endurance

In answer to Joe Long's position on electronic communication between
rider and crew, stated below:

"Prompting," at least in the spirit with which Rule 6k  was written,
referred to actions which prompted a horse to go faster, not the passing
of information to a rider.

I've often looked for natural clues to how far ahead some rider was --
water in a creek still muddy, a dust cloud over the hill, the condition
of manure.  I've joked that I can grab a finger full of manure, taste
it, and tell you to the minute how far ahead the horse is!  If a rider
wants to go to the trouble to carry and use a radio on the trail to get
such info from his crew, I don't see how that violates the spirit of
endurance competition.

and solely in my interpretation of Rule 6 k. which states:  "Not having
been paced or prompted by an un-entered, withdrawn, or otherwise
unauthorized equine, vehicle, or a person other than another entrant.
This does not preclude the ordinary support services of attendants or pit
crews........" note the wording "paced or prompted"

then I look at the definition of "Prompt" in Webster's Dictionary and it
defines it as,
"1.  to urge into action.  2. to remind (a person) of something he has
forgotten; to help with a cue.  3. to inspire"

Now, I know that I am wrong more times than I am right, but when I look
at Rule 6 k. where it states in black and white, "....or a person other
than another entrant...." and then I look at the definition of
"prompting", I can't help but think that a crew giving instructions to
the rider, urging their rider to pick up the pace, telling their rider
where the competition is and how it looks,, inspiring their rider...
definitely can be interpreted as "prompting", and radio contact certainly
goes beyond the definition of  "ordinary support services of attendants
and pit crews".  Also, Rule 6 k.  was written in a way that
differentiates  "pacing" from "prompting"  since they are both mentioned
in the same sentence with "or" between them.  I think we all know the
definition of "pacing" and it is a substantially different activity than
"prompting", and neither are allowed by Rule 6 k.

I will say this, if the majority of the AERC membership is in favor of
these activities, then I say majority rules...but I can't help but think
our membership is not in favor or either activity.

Randy Eiland

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]