Re: body clipping

Hi, Carrie--

First of all, it is not normal to not be shedding out yet this time of year.
I would have a few medical questions about this horse before I worry about the
body clipping.

1)  You stated that this was a new horse to you.  Was the nutrition adequate
through the winter?

2)  I would run a blood test for selenium, and also for any other trace
minerals that your veterinarian and/or county agent feel might be deficient in
your area.  Selenium deficiency can DEFINITELY cause a delay in normal
shedding, and other deficiencies may also.

3)  Many horses that don't shed properly are hypothyroid.  When you test for
the trace minerals, I would strongly suggest that you submit a sample for
analysis for thyroid levels, too.

Ok, with that out of the way--yes, I would recommend clipping this horse, but
I would not clip the entire body.  I would clip the neck and chest, the front
legs from the forearms down, and the hind legs from the level of the stifles
down.  I would also clip the belly.  Leave the hair in the area where your
girth goes, so that you have hair everywhere your saddle comes in contact.
For the time being, I would also leave the hair over the loin and rump.  As it
gets warmer, if the horse has not shed, you may consider that, too.

Don't worry about the damage to the summer hair (yes, it is already coming in,
as someone else pointed out)--it will regrow in 3 to 4 weeks in most cases.

Your horse may look funny with this fancy haircut, but odds are it will be
much more comfortable and much less prone to overheating.  The idea behind
this cut is to expose the surfaces where the big blood vessels are to expedite
getting the horse cooled down, but to leave protected areas with large muscle
masses that should not cool too quickly and those areas that need the
protection of the hair to prevent galling from your tack.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)