Re: body clipping

>It's too late in the year to clip...it'll ruin her summer coat which is
>already in and under the remains of her winter coat.  She's probably
>sweating so much because she's out of shape besides not having shed all of
>the winter coat yet.  Try shorter, lighter work-outs and don't get her
>soaking wet.  Just enough to get her warm, then go to walking until she
>cools, then add a bit more...but not enough again to get her too hot.  As
>time goes by, she'll sweat less...as she's getting in better shape.

I think it really depends on the horse and the climate you are in.  I
clipped Misty pretty much year round.  Of couse I didn't have to clip as
much in the summer.  I clipped two day prior the the 96 ROC which was in
July.  Her coat was always fine - mabye a little short.  But being black
she would fade from the sweat of conditioning.  So unless I left her in the
pasture to do nothing her coat would be faded anyway.  And the shorter coat
sure helped her keep cooler.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - "She wasn't with us long - but boy will we miss her"
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL