Re: how far to rides?

>And how many hours are most of you willing to drive in one day and how
>often do you stop along the way?

I usually like to drive no more than about 600 miles max in one day, but have
driven 900 before.

> If you stop, do you take your horses out of the trailer?

Rarely........if the horse will eat, drink and urinate in the trailer, I feel
the horse is better off if you get to your destination as quickly as possible.
Unloading in a strange (and often open) environment is asking for trouble.  I
do try to stop about every 2 hours or so (I need a restroom break!!)  or to
eat.   This gives the horse a chance to rest some in the trailer without
having to unload.  Plus it teaches him that stopping doesn't necessarily means
he's gettin' out!!

> What do you use to wrap the horses legs after the
>ride and during the trailer ride home?

I don't wrap after a training ride.......I want to see what my horses legs
look like, if there is any swelling, indicating an injury,  I want to know.  I
don't want it masked by wrapping.  However after a ride (50 or more miles) I
do like to apply a light liniment/vinegar brace and wrap lightly.   I always
wrap with pillow wraps and track bandages EVERY time my horse goes in the
trailer (even if it's only a couple of miles).

> I have never wrapped my young
>guys legs since we have done next to nothing so far, but I was told by a
>friend that she wraps her horses legs after every ride to keep them from
>stocking up.

Best way to keep him from stocking up is not to put him in a stall immediately
after a training ride.  Let him out in a pasture or large paddock to move
around.  However stocking up (or filling in the lower legs) can also indicate
an  injury or a horse working beyond his conditioning level.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cindy Bell
Wameco
Southeast Region