Re: Horse death/leaving

As the sport of endurance riding grows and attracts more people, we are
bound to have more situations where an emergency crops up, there are people
in camp who can help, but those with the problem don't know who they are.
This tragedy can and should make us all more aware of potential emergencies
and how to handle them.

 It seems to me that it would add very little, if any, cost to a ride to
post an emergency number in camp and on rider packets, as well as
identifiying who might have a cell phone.  I realise that some rides may
take place where cell phones don't work, and in those areas other emergency
plans should be made and communicated to riders before the crisis happens,
since it is difficult to maintain logic and detachment during.  Even
identifying (with permission, of course) those in camp with veterinary or
medical training could be useful.  Let's not forget that riders occasionally
have injuries and potentially catastrophic medical emergencies, too.

I know that vets and doctors go to rides to relax and unwind, but as a
physician, I do not object to an emergency field consultation, and would be
horrified to learn that someone in camp had suffered a heart attack and
didn't want to bother me for what he thought was indigestion.  (True story,
good outcome)

I don't think this is anything that needs a new rule or set of rules, just
some forethought and planning appropriate for individual ride settings and
personnel.

Just my .02 worth,

Patty
Patty and the Rainbow Pasos
Rainbow Paso Fino Ranch
Clayton, WA   99110

Standing Coral's Palomilo de Vez
breeding stock carrying the bloodlines of Favorito Que Tal, Coral LaCE,
Pincel and Sonador.