leaving early

>When that local vet pulled up at about 9:30 AM down at Witchdance, he
>didn't know that the horse had looked like it was O.K. for hours after
>going 50 miles.  All he saw was a bunch of people who had "run their
>horses 50 miles" the day before, and one big dead one laying in front of
>the manager's office.  Imagine how that looked.  We need an ENDURANCE vet
>available.

>     Hmm. Could you show a DVM who wasn't present for the ride the
>horse's
>card, with the  vet check parameters scored?
Most local vets wouldn't have known what it meant. Plus, the horse at WD
didn't have a bad vet card.

>      It's hard on the ride vet to be asked to stay over--at least in my
>case--I lose money every time I vet a ride. If I had to spend another
>night
>away, I couldn't afford it. (That's why I'm taking a year off from
judging
             --CMNewell, DVM
This is why we closed dialogue on the issue in the SE.  Due to vets losing
money, and RM's losing money.  It's a shame that it all boils down to
money, but that's just how it is.  I know that I can't afford to lose
money every year on a ride, neither can the vets be expected to lose money
for what they do.

Then Heidi said

>Whether or not I stay over depends on the ride distances--100's I stay
>over,
>50's I do not, 75's depends on the ride.  I have to charge more
>accordingly.
Most of the rides here in the SE will have a vet present throughout the
night due to the length of time it takes us to complete a 100 here. Not
all, but many do take all night, or close to it, so the vets are just
expected to stay over cause of that.

>That's exactly why each circumstance needs to be treated individually and
>not
>through "rules."  If there was a problem at that particular ride, the
>ride
>manager needs to be talked to, and if that is not productive, then the
>sanctioning director needs to be talked to.
IN this particular instance, the RM did all he could.  he was really shook
up about it.  This same ride this year was a very difficult ride. It
turned off very hot and humid. The RM had more vets than normal and was
prepared for whatever.  We wound up sending two horses to the vet school,
that is about 1 hour drive away. One was a colic, one was a tie up after
the ride. The vets were there to treat and to send them to the school.
We did ahve one rider who rode the snot out of his horse, refused
treatment when the horse tied up, and then begged for treatment later.
The RM did what he could to get the rider to treat the horse.  He finally
gave in and agreed to do so when his horse was no better several hours
later.  This is not the first time this rider has over ridden his horse
either.

The Barbara said:

>2) We have gone to a good deal of effort to present an excellent meal, a
>pleasant ambience, and nice awards with which to recognize their
>accomplishments. It is depressing to see trailers pulling out in droves.
Many ride managers seem to be dropping the meal part of the ride. It's sad
to me because they lose so much money due to people departing early.  I
hate to cook after a ride. I love to sit around the camp and listen to the
days adventures and learn lessons that I need to learn.

>feel like a hostess who is giving a party and nobody wants to come.
>3) It is very costly, both in postage and time, to have to mail awards
>later.
Many of our managers will just hold the award til they see the rider at
another ride. If they don't care enough to stay for their award, why
should RM care enough to mail it out?  I agree with this line of
reasoning.  Many are not there for the award anyway. They are there to
ride, to collect points, etc.  I can go buy a halter for a lot less money
than I can go ride for one...:-)

>4) After the ride is the only time we can really visit with the riders,
>as
>before and during the ride we are usually dashing around checking to be
>sure all is going smoothly.

amen to that.  It's a lot of fun to go from camp to camp and talk to
everyone once the hassle of the day is over.  A good way for RM's to relax
and enjoy their ride..and about the only time they are able to relax and
enjoy!!

samm