Re: Leaving after ride

Hi everyone-

Haven't posted for awhile so I thought I'd put my .02 on this topic.

When I was managing the Twin Oaks Ride, I was quite taken aback by the
number of riders who packed-up and left right after this not-so-easy 30 and
50 mile ride. Considering that the road from base camp was 14 miles of
*very* twisty road, I had to question their good sense. However, I didn't
feel it was my place to raise any objections. For the most part, many of
these people were experienced riders who had 1000's of miles under their
belt. Consequently, I'm sure (or at least hope) that they would know what
to do should the horse become distressed.

Speaking of vets who ride the ride, why not ask one of them to "be on call"
Sat. night in exchange for a free ride entry? I'm sure many would be happy
to do this (Heidi?) and it would sure put a lot of riders at ease knowing
there is someone around to help. I realize that vets can't haul their vet
truck to each ride, but a well supplied emergency kit would do...at least
they could keep a really bad horse stabilized until a local vet shows-up.
If I put on another ride, I think I'll do this.

Carol Barrett
*Finally* drying-out in "sunny" So. Calif.