Re: Rain, Rain, I Want To Train!

In the Santa Monica Mountains the trails are so-so. Most of the dirt roads in
my area are in relatively good shape, especially the ones that are part of a
state park, since the park service works hard to accomodate all those
desperate L.A. hikers and mountain bikers... We don't get that much mud around
here since it's pretty rocky, but the trails do wash out and you have to
navigate around slides, holes and crevaces. I can very well understand why
they had to cancel the Malibu Ride. The smaller trails in my area are pretty
bad, but I'm used to it (so are the horses), it's been like that for a few
month now. I've recently trailered to Topanga State Park as well as Zuma
Canyon in Malibu (beautiful ocean views!) and those were both in pretty good
condition (for my standards), although Zuma has some closed trails.
If it gets really bad there's always Griffith Park with it's wide, groomed,
sandy trails, but I don't like to listen to the freeway noise the whole time
and also the traffic to get there is a nightmare.

Kirsten (in Topanga)