Re: Saddle

>Has anyone ever heard of a Wintec Dressage Sport Saddle?  If so, how
>would it be for endurance?  I haven't seen the saddle just an ad.  So
>any information you would have I'd appreciate.  Also would you have any
>idea how much to pay for the saddle?  It costs $300 in the ad.
>Thanks,
>Angie

Hi Angie,
I have three Wintec dressage saddles -- an older Sport, a newer 2000, and a
2 yo Pro -- I like all of them but I like the Pro best.  It seems to sit me
more balanced and it has a V billet system which works better on Blaze.
The Sport is my second favorite and it was the reason I ended up with so
many Wintecs.  (I also have an Aussie version and a smaller 2000.)  My
students have varied opinions but the either pick the Pro or the Sport as a
favorite.  I have done a fair number of miles out in the hills in my Pro
and have found it to be okay for everything but the real steep stuff going
down.  I don't feel quite as secure as I do in my Aussie -- altho the
Wintec is more comfortable for the rest of the ride (the seat is softer.)
I also have a green ArabX that would be a great cow horse because he can do
a *great* sit and spin at the drop of a hat.  He's getting
better...BUT...it'll be a while before I feel secure enough with his shying
to give up the Aussie saddle. ;-)  (We walked and trotted thru all the
puddles yesterday without ONE moments hesitation...so things are looking
up!  He just didn't know what to make of the huge day-glo yellow round
harrow, however.  We put on quite a show for the folks in the practice
arena near the trail.  No bucking or anything like that...just a
hesitation, a couple of snorts, and we're doing the best shoulder-in in his
history -- the other direction!  And we do repeat performances for about 10
minutes!  Darn, that dressage training!! <bg>)

Anyway, back to the saddle...;-)  If you're used to using a lot of
two-point or jumping small logs, etc., you will not find the saddle as good
for that.  You would have to shorten your stirrups enough to be able to
stay balanced and that would put enough bend in your knee to possibly
extend it over the flap.  The Wintec All Purpose may be better for that
since it has a wider flap in the front so that you CAN comfortably shorten
the stirrups.  Also, they have a *new* model that I sat in (the first one
to arrive in Washington) -- it's called the 500 and it has the look of
leather instead of fabric, it's very comfortable and secure feeling, my
legs hung in a nice, comfortable position, and it's LESS THAN $300 new.  I
will probably get one since I need a Wintec that I can use with students
where they can jump something higher than 18" and still sit in a pretty
close to normal classical position.  The saddles (the 500s) only come in
the all purpose style at this time.  The new Miller's catalog that arrived
today have them in it.

Sue
sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm