Re: CTR: Electrolytes (cookie recipe)

Hi Glenda,
When giving electrolytes through the "cookie route" the absorption of the
water and electrolytes will be somewhat delayed relative to receiving
dissolved electrolytes in the water.  The reason for this is that solids
empty from the stomach more slowly.  This can be adjusted for by feeding
small amounts of the cookies more frequently rather than a large amount at
longer intervals.  Also, you may want to consider the advantages of
starting the "cookie regime" before the ride starts, so that there is time
for the cookie to be broken down and in the small intestine by the time
the ride starts.  Go easy on the high molasses, high fat additions to the
cookies, as this may slow down the gastric emptying more, as high fat/high
sugar may also slow down gastric emptying.  And of course, as most of you
know, it is not advisable to feed strong electrolytes (or dry feed) to a
horse that is dehydrated.  After the horse has had a drink (either
willingly or by syringing water into its mouth), then you can give more
electrolytes (or cookies) if needed to replace the sweat losses.
Have fun with the cookies.  Are you going to make them in fun shapes? :>

All the best,
Gayle