Easyboots and foam

>even got his easy boots off (under 2 min. per boot, I'm getting good!)
>without cringing, and I had used plenty of foam to keep them on because of
>all the mud :-).

I read a post some time ago that also mentioned foam with easy boots.  What
are we talking about here?  I have an easy boot now that I've never used --
most of my riding in the past few years has been in an arena, so dealing
with easy boots has never been an issue.  What is the foam part that is
mentioned?  I also saw a strap advertised that is supposed to help hold
them on -- is this an item that is worthwhile?  I know I should fit the
easy boot to the horses (the two of mine that go on the trails take the
same size), but how do I determine if they're the right fit?  I've heard
comments about cutting the backs down so that they don't rub -- does this
compromise the ability to keep the boot on?  If you have a boot that is
purchased as an emergency replacement for a lost shoe, how do I fit it
correctly when my critters always have shoes on? (My farrier is usually
here doing my horses when I'm at work so I rarely see them without shoes.)

Has anybody used the boots that are designed to use WITH shoes and have
some method of securing them that requires a tool?  Could they be used
WITHOUT shoes?  Would that necessitate having two different sizes along or
would you just put those on at the beginning of a ride?  I would like to
test this stuff when I have time to fiddle with it rather than when it's
urgently needed. ;-)  I also want to find out if the fit's correct and not
causing any soreness before I have to use something on a longer stretch.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.