Sole of foot puncture wound(off topic)

Hi all, well I've got the worst luck when it comes to shoers! I find one
that can actually technically shoe a horse properly cept his shoes fall
off.  So I am out doing a training ride today and while coming down a rocky
slide his shoe fell off but not totally.  Next step, unknown to me, he
landed on the shoe that was partially off and the nail went into the sole.
About 3/4's of the way in too.  Used a pair of pliers to pry it off and it
shot blood out for about 30 seconds then stopped.  Dead lame at first,
walked about 200 ft to where my husband could pick us up in a trailer and
waited.  Got home, soaked the foot in warm epsoms salts and put a poultice
on his foot for the night.

Questions, can barely see the wound, but it was deep.  I am calling my vet
in the morning but I was wondering if I should go out there and give him a
shot of penniclin tonight to prevent infection.  The way I figure it is if
I can keep it from getting infected we may be alright.  He is barely gimpy
on it now.  What is customery lay off time for a sole puncture wound?
Should I treat this wound like I would an abcess wound in the foot?  What
other types of therapies/treatments would any of you recommend.  I've never
had a horse puncture his sole like that.

Also I was wondering if I should put the shoe back on or leave it off while
I've got the poultice boot on him?  I know I will have to leave his pad off.

Plus I have a question about tetanus shots.  He had his last last spring
and is due for another.  I have a series of shots left over from last years
batch with a 1/30/97 date on them.  They have been in the fridge a year.
Can I still use these shots, don't they have a couple of years shelf life
if kept cold.

Please email me privately so as not to clutter the list with off topic stuff.
Thanks!

                                 Cheryl Newbanks
                ~~ ^ ^       Just In Time Ranch
~~~\   _  ~~/ /\ /       Buckeye, AZ