cooling of legs and shoeing

Hi Maja and welcome.  You were concerned with cooling your horses legs at
the vet check.  If your horse is carrying heat and or swelling that would
be a good thing to do along with the clay/poultice after the ride going
home. But if your horse is sound I don't see the need to go to all this
work at the vet checks.  I would probably use a good linament like Rogers
recipe AFTER the final vet check and wrap him; then reset those wraps and
put on more linament and rub the legs really good about every hour for
about 4 hours after the ride. I'd hose him when I got home.

As for shoes I use a wide web eventer shoe called St Croix Eventers.  I
really like these shoes because my horse has better traction with them.  He
tends to slip behind when not wearing them.  I also pad my horse but a lot
or riders use easyboots over their shoes on rocky rides.

Good luck on your upcoming ride:}