cooling of legs and shoeing

From: Maja Stopek
Email: benman@swipnet.se

Hi all experienced endurance riders,

I´m new to endurande and live in Sweden. I´m only riding my first clear round in the end of April of 45kilometers (about 25 miles). I´ve been reading some about how to take care of the horse during competition. I wonder why I should cool of the horse´s leg? If I know that I can use better judgement on when I need to do it. Is it necessery to do it if I ride 45km at a speed of about 10km/h (very slow)? Or maybe it has to do with the temperature outside? It will be in the 50-60´s probably.

What methods are best to use. Should I first rinse the legs with cool water at the vet check and then use "cooling clay" and pack his legs in for the ride home. Or is that unnessery for starters like us. And if so, when does it start being essential?

I also would like to get some advise on what kind of shoeing is the best to use. You will have to describe the shoe (as well as of course tell me what it is called in English, love to learn), because I will have no chance to look up what you are telling me, what that is called in Swedish.

Thanks before hand
Maja