Re: LD - CRT - NATRC - ETC

In a message dated 98-04-03 19:04:07 EST, wendy@wendy.cnd.hp.com writes:

<< Heidi said that *any* horse can be conditioned to do a 50.
 I wonder about that 1/2 Belgium, 1/4 Appy, 1/4 who knew what
 that could barely make it through a 25.
 I know, I'm being extreme. >>

Yes, you are being extreme, but when I vetted in Germany, I saw Friesans,
Warmbloods, Norwegian Fjord horses, various draft crosses, you-name-it, and
while many were not "competitive," they completed just fine.  Never saw such
an array of breeds and types at an American ride as I saw there!  Properly
conditioned and ridden conservatively, there are very few sound, healthy
horses that cannot at least COMPLETE 50's.  Note that I state sound and
healthy--there ARE horses with pre-existing medical or metabolic problems that
don't fit this scenario, but one can't blame that on breed or type, just
because they happen to be a breed or type that is not typical.  I do think
that straight draft horses are at a tremendous disadvantage in the heat, and
have seen them take longer to drop their heart rates in competitive driving
trials, so I might limit my assertion to saddle breeds, but HAVE seen various
draft crosses successfully complete 50's here from time to time.

Heidi