re: CTR vs LD

> Stepahnie Wind wrote:

>  I will not EVER go back to CTR
> because of the 'obstacles' and human judging!!!!! While appropriate in some
> cases, these 'obstacles' often put the riders AND the horses through undue,
> unnecessary, and unlikely stressful situations. I also do not believe that
> it is important to have all horse tied a certain way (my stallion can UNTIE
> the NATRC approved knot) overnight, etc. My biggest beef is the 'forward
> progress' rules.

Stephanie,

First & foremeost, my husband & I are <endurance> riders.  That being said...

There are a LOT of other CTR's besides NATRC - it sounds like you weren't
fortunate to find them in your area.  In the NE, we have ECTRA CTR that we use
for starting horses.  ECTRA runs at a 6-7 mph speed, NO obstacles, they DON'T
care what your camp looks like, and you can stop to your heart's content
anywhere on the trail at any mile.  They judge the horse on his beginning and
ending physical condition very much like a BC judging.  It is a great trial for
the new horses!

If the LD had a time window and basic judging like this, would you still feel
so strongly about it?  Remember that NATRC is NOT the only way to ride slow &
sane.  (PS - I feel like you do about NATRC...  I won't do their rides if they
were the last game in town.  Too picky & slow.)

Linda Flemmer