Brands???

Anyone familiar with brands in Canada?

To be absolutely super securely registered, I think that you have to have
your horse registered with the Canadian Livestock registry. And, I think
you have to have a permanent brand in 1 of 3 places: cheek; shoulder  or
hip. There's a legal consideration...USA or foreign based breed registry
don't have lot of impact from a legal point of view, ie a dispute of horse
ownership, identification and so on. I recall when there was a dispute
about QHs up here, AQHA actually sent a rep to help straighten it out.

But, I haven't seen a lot of branded horses up here. Reiners now have
'decorative' brands, which don't mean much legally here. Ranchers can and
might brand their horses, but it's usually their cows!

Anyone know what's the story? I'm going to check it out with our Alberta
Horse Industry Branch. If you'd like to know what's required, please email
privately.

Cheers

Monika, Koko and Ripp