Re: Getting fat horse into shape

I need to get the weight off of him so I can do a 25
> mile ride the first of June and a week long trail ride the end of June.
>
> My question is this, do I limit his feed? Should a horse that is being
> ridden a lot be put on a diet? If so how much hay should he get? We
> have nice green brome hay. Also, is it all right to do light riding daily?
> Say 4 to 5 miles a day at a walk and trot?

You take weight off of horses the same way you would off a human (if you
were trying to do it sensibly)---don't try to starve the weight off,
work it off.  Don't limit the hay, but don't add supplements, either. I
really prefer feeding grass hay free4-choice due to the fluid change
issues.  But if you must provide a certain amount, feed around 2% of his
body weight per day---for example, a 1000 lb horse should get 20 lbs.
That supplies all the roughage, protein and minerals he needs. Let him
pull the extra energy he needs for work from fat depots stores.  Good
brome is a really nice hay, but I'd suggest you provide some ground
limestone as an additional source of calcium, along with of course, a
salt block.  I would think 4-5 miles a day walking and trotting would be
perfect until he starts getting back into good shape.  Once he's back
around a moderate condition score--no ribs showing but easily felt, no
hip or pin bones sticking out, just looks smooth, not
pudgy---re-evaluate to see if you need to add some grain or fats back in
to maintain that condition.

As his body shape changes, be sure to check that his saddle is still
fitting him from one week to the next.

Good luck!

Susan Garlinghouse