Getting fat horse into shape

Hi everyone,
The Arab that I started to get into shape for this seasons rides
is coming up lame in the front shoulder. Not sure why, but until
we know, I am going to be concentrating on getting a different
Arab in shape, just in case.

The guy was not ridden at all last year because on a nasty stallion
bite in his side where the cinch goes. So he is very over weight and
out of shape. I need to get the weight off of him so I can do a 25
mile ride the first of June and a week long trail ride the end of June.

My question is this, do I limit his feed? Should a horse that is being
ridden a lot be put on a diet? If so how much hay should he get? We
have nice green brome hay. Also, is it all right to do light riding daily?
Say 4 to 5 miles a day at a walk and trot?  I do not have time to do
long rides three times a week, so I thought it might be better to do
short rides more days out of the week. I really need to get some weight
off of this boy. Can anyone tell me what would be the best way to do
this?

TIA
Lynette
PS Remember Kayla and the surgery with the tubes? Well she has developed
mastodities (sp) and a sinus infection. They put her on a very strong
antibiotic and
she had a severe reaction to it and has been in the hospital for the past week.

So far this year she has missed 39 days of school. They are talking about
holding
her back a grade but she is a twin and that means that she would be held back
and her twin Kate would go on to the next grade. Talk about problems with
self-esteem for poor Kayla. She was a very confident and outgoing girl and now
she is unsure of herself and feels stupid because she is so far behind the
others
in school. If anyone has any experience with separating twins in school or any
suggestions on how to handle this, email me privately. I would appreciate some
input.