LD vs Endurance

Hi All, Salutations from the Windy Western Desert.
I have been lurking for awhile and this subject seems to come up quite
often.  I should probably stay lurking, but her goes my humble opinion.  I
do not understand what all the fuss is about.  This whole issue of LD riders
feeling like second class citizens is silly.  I am beginning to wonder if it
is a feeling within themselves, rather than one projected on them by others.
I believe we are talking apples and oranges in comparing LD's with 50 or 100
mile endurance rides.  A limited distance ride is not less than an endurance
ride, just different.  I know lots of folks who just want to ride LD, I
think that is just fine (when I think about it at all).

I have done a few LD rides, my intro to this sport was through an LD ride,
but folks they are not endurance rides.  I realized that FOR ME there was
not enough challenge in a LD ride.  I can ride 25 miles anytime, and in fact
I do ride 20 to 25 mile conditioning rides on a regular basis.  If a person
has never riden a 50, much less a 100 mile ride, they cannot understand the
truly greater effort involved for the horse and rider.  No judging here,
just a fact.  Aristotle wrote (paraphrased) I can have the knowledge of what
you tell me, but I cannot understand until I have experienced it.

My preferred distance is 100 mile rides, and I apoliogize in advance if this
will offend some, but true endurance is a 100 mile ride.  The sense of
accomplishment you experience after each 100 leaves you stoked for weeks!
The bond you develop with your horse as he partners you through a 100 mile
ride is indescribable.  After each 100 I have finished on my Flikka, I hug
her neck and cry, thanking her for doing this for me.

When you are out in the dark and it is cold and you have been in the saddle
for 15 hours, then talk to me about endurance.  When you take the whole 12
hours to finish your horse's first 50, we can talk about endurance.  I am
sorry, but getting though a LD ride is just not the same, not even close.
This is not meant to disparage the accomplishment of finishing an LD ride
with a healthy horse, but the task, the risk and the possible heartbreak are
magnified a thousand fold on a 100 mile ride.

I do not feel I am better (crazy maybe, but not better) because I choose to
do 100's and 50's.  But I do feel the work involved in preparation and
execution is greater, and therefore, I believe that giving equal
credit/status(as an endurance ride) for completing a LD is not justified.

As for rude riders, such is life.  As others have stated, rude rides come in
all distances!  I consider myself a nice, well mannered and polite person,
but I am sure that I have been rude on occasion.  Worrying about whether
someone offers their horse water or blows past a water stop, or does not
wait for a gate to be closed and rider mounted, is just not worth it to me.
I take care of my horse, and what others do, while annoying at times is out
of my control.

The best piece of advise I ever received (thank you Jackie Bumgardner) about
this sport was
"Ride Your Own Ride".

Wendy Merendini
& Fire Mt. Flikka, the Wonder Mare