Re: tapaderos

REPLY TO 03/30/98 07:55 FROM ridecamp@endurance.net: tapaderos

Dorothy Foster writes:
We had a customer who wanted a solid tap for our stirrups instead of the
cages we normally provide. My husband played around with several options,
and finally suggested to the woman that she cut the tops off a couple of
large soda containers, punch holes in the sides and tie them on to the
stirrups. We received a letter back from her saying it worked just
great...looks a little funny, but it was a cheap and practical solution. I

---
Dorothy, that was me, probably.  The reason behind it was pretty
important, my son's shoes were getting stuck in the cages, as the
gaps were too big.  This seems to be consistent with all the cages
on all the stirrups I have seen,  in the gaps are too large for
childrens boots or shoes.

The soda-bottle idea was PERFECT-but I was able to insert it inside
the cage, with the area cut out for the rubber gripper on the
bottom.  Also, being clear, they don't show much.  Additionally, I
cut it also to be as large as the inside of the stirrup, and duct-
taped the edges to the stirrup.  After all, the point was to make it
safe, so having any part that would hang up anywhere would defeat
this purpose.

Anyway, it made it possible for him to ride in your stirrups, which
are wide, comfortable, and now, totally safe for a childs foot!
Oh, and the other reason I was determined to find a "fix" with these
stirrups, and not go to any other, they are very lightweight!
One less thing for me to worry about!

Oh, one more thing!  The "soda bottles" now have a year of riding
with them, and caused no problems, and did not break.

Karen

To:  ridecamp@endurance.net