Starting horses on 50s

I wrote:
><<  but I would really like to get the respect I deserve for
> trying to enter this discipline in a smart way for the good of all
> concerned.

Maryben responded:
>I tend to semi agree with a lot of what you are feeling, but I am still at a
>loss to understand why everyone seems to think if your don't start your first
>time horses and riders, especially young juniors, that you are not doing it
>right.  I have started every single one of my juniors from age 5 to 11 and
>every except one of my horses on a 50 mile event.  The only time I rode a 25
>was because I went with someone else who wanted to ride the 25 first.  A slow
>50 is a lot safer than a fast 25.  LD can trash a horse just as fast as a 50
>or longer.

There are several reason why I opted for a 25 to start:
1) I have been away from trail riding for about 3 years -- only doing 3-4
rides in the mountains per year during that time on horses that I had
ridden the trails with since '83.  I was taking dressage lessons, teaching
beginners, learning to host clinics at my place, and running the dressage
division of our local *large* riding club.  We put on 4 shows a year and
that was a lot of work.  I quit that position this year so I now have a bit
more free time.

2) I work nearly full time at the hospital (3-4 days a week+call) in
surgery doing mostly open heart procedures which means I'm on my feet for
quite a few hours a day and don't do much riding when I get off of work --
too tired.  I teach riding on my days off and I also own and run a boarding
stable, so my time is pretty tightly structured.

3)  The horses that my friend and I are riding are 2 of my schooling horses
and the offspring of my former trail horses (who live elsewhere now.)  Blue
(Appy mare) has had *some* trail experience following her mother, whom I
rode, on a few rides -- her basic personality is pretty steady and sane.
Blaze (ArabX gelding) is the one that I'm riding and he is as green as
grass -- and his basic personality is a bit more enthusiastic and spooky!
They're both doing very well but every trip out is still an incredible
adventure for them.

4) Until this year, I knew virtually nothing about endurance riding.
Thanks to this list and the books that I have picked up, I'll go in fairly
well educated and know a little bit of what to expect.  I have never even
*seen* a vet check, never camped with a horse (the mountains are almost out
my back door so there has never been a need -- but I've done a lot of
camping myself in the past), and never trained a horse for endurance --
this aspect of the sport is all new to me! ;-)  For about 10 years I did a
fair amount of riding in the hills...so up and down steep slopes, crossing
creeks, and picking my way thru deadfall and messed up trails is not new to
me -- but it is to the current horses.

5) I'll be 50 in 3 weeks and I want to make sure that *my* body is also in
fairly decent shape -- and that the old injuries to my various parts can
withstand the distance.  I'm sure it won't be a problem but I don't want to
push myself further than I should...however, I don't know what that is! ;-)
 I have no idea how long (time-wise) or hard a 25 miler at the Les Hilde
trail is since I never knew how many miles the rides were that I have done
there!  Some of the loops are fairly steep while others are on a lot of
flat road and easy trails thru the woods.  Also, I do *most* of my riding
(which is in an arena) in a dressage saddle which is NOT the saddle for me
to be in going up and down steep stuff on a horse that isn't real good at
it yet.  I like the security of my Aussie saddle but I've never ridden in
it for more than 4 hours in a day!

I only plan on doing the first ride or two in the LD division.  If all goes
well, I'll start out next spring with 50s.  The horses should be ready by
then also.  When I'm a bit more experienced and know what I'm getting into,
I may then feel confident enough to start a green horse with a 50.  I'm
sure Blaze and Blue could do it soon -- and just for sentimental value, I
WOULD like to do my first 50 at 50!! <bg>

Sue