Volunteer Insurance

Does anyone in California have a solution for adequate insurance
coverage for VOLUNTEERS during the production of endurance rides.  As
most ride managers know, volunteers are EXCLUDED from coverage on the
liability insurance policy we are required to carry.

In 1997 the Western States Trail Ride was required to report volunteer
hours at the State minimum wage and pay a premium of $11.54 per $100 of
"payroll" (volunteers are not paid, but the State Compensation Insurance
Fund requires we report volunteer hours worked times the State minimum
wage of $4.25).  We have over 400 volunteers!

Accidents to our volunteers can happen and we want to be prepared, but
there must be a better way.

Any input would be appreciated.

Larry Suddjian, Ride Director
WESTERN STATES TRAIL FOUNDATION