Re: Negative Treatment Towards LD riders and horses!

In a message dated 98-03-29 16:30:55 EST, sbrown@wamedes.com writes:

<<  but I would really like to get the respect I deserve for
 trying to enter this discipline in a smart way for the good of all
 concerned. >>

I tend to semi agree with a lot of what you are feeling, but I am still at a
loss to understand why everyone seems to think if your don't start your first
time horses and riders, especially young juniors, that you are not doing it
right.  I have started every single one of my juniors from age 5 to 11 and
every except one of my horses on a 50 mile event.  The only time I rode a 25
was because I went with someone else who wanted to ride the 25 first.  A slow
50 is a lot safer than a fast 25.  LD can trash a horse just as fast as a 50
or longer.....Maryben