30's vs 50's

Hi everyone;
I really understand how it feels to be on both sides of this one.  I
have competed in 50's most of my endurance career, and have started my
young horse in a season of 25-30's to encourage him not to be
competitive once he's ready for 50's.  So far, so good, he's lazy!
Often we run into problems by not understanding what the other person is
thinking or feeling.  Walk a mile in my moccasins?...
When I finished my first 30, the vet wanted to vet thru the 50's first,
so I just stood around and waited, finally went back to camp and let my
horse relax.  Of course, after that, he didn't want to trot out, he
wanted to not trot anymore that day, so that was a bit annoying.
However, it was just a training ride, so what?  It is no excuse for
anyone to be nasty in line!
How many of us get short-tempered and self-centered when we're tired,
and forget to have a sense of humor?  Probably most of the problem.
When competing a shorter distance, you have to realize that you don't
have to go on, the longer distances do.  You are not supposed to be
racing, you are learning, the horse is learning, everything ideally
should stay on an even keel and quite low-key, IMHO.  Just be glad that
you are done for the day!
I've come across rude 50 milers, and rude 25 milers, usually
front-runners, but not always.  Everyone wants to ride their own ride,
and since there are others on the trail, there will be conflicts!
One funny story, that was brought to mind by Angie's post I think:
Years ago I was starting off in the Drake's Bay 50(Oh, such a good ride
it was!!!!) in a controlled start, and just as the leader moved aside to
let us pass, someone near the front was bucked off their
quarterhorse/appy(I have reason to remember the huge, spotted butt!).
The others in front were trying to get the horse stopped so the rider
could re-mount, but there was one guy going pedal to the metal, and
wouldn't even slow down.  The loose horse was behind him, I was behind
them eventually.  The loose horse was a kicker, too, and I tried to stay
way away from them. Eventually I came up on them, around a blind corner,
stopped at a tiny creek.  I was kicked in both shins, which made for a
very pain-filled day. Anyway, the loose horse was caught at the 8 mile
trot by, and the man in front never even slowed down.  At the vet check,
12 miles out, the leader finally slowed his horse, looked around at me,
and asked, "Now what do I do?".  He was a NOVICE, and caused so much
confusion and pain to others by his lack of consideration...his seemed
like a very misdirected "win at any cost" attitude.  I replied, "You TRY
to get your horse's pulse and respiration recovered!"   Never saw him
again.
Let's all ridecampers try to direct our energy during a ride in a
positive way, and let's not let the turkeys ruin our day!  We can have
the most fun by keeping our attitude pleasant, anyway!
They'll know we are ridecampers by our smiles...by our smiles...yes
they'll know we are ridecampers by our smiles!!!
Katee
easily recognized by the bugs on her teeth,
and Blade, cuter than Khemosabi,
who usually both keep a sense of humor at rides