Re: Negative Treatment Towards LD riders and horses!

In a message dated 98-03-29 01:50:54 EST, jlong@mti.net writes:

<< They started the 50's 15 minutes before the 30's so we bottle necked at
 >times. >>

This is a real ride management error, IMO.  Ride management needs to study
their trail and separate the times in such a way that this is minimized.  On a
"typical" loop course, an hour's separation usually works.  With other trail
layouts, one must think about how fast each set of riders will get to each
check, and stagger times accordingly.  Example--we run one ride that is a
50-mile loop, but the LD's take a cut-off and go to VC 3.  We start the 100's
at 5 am and the 50's at 7 am to keep them out of each other's hair.  The LD's
start BEFORE the 50's by 15 minutes, which gets them 4 miles down the trail to
where the trail splits so that the 50's don't run over the slower ones, and
puts them at VC 3 before the 100's get there.  On another ride that I vet, the
75's do an extra loop and come back to one of the checks--we found we
eliminated the bottleneck by separating the start times 1-1/2 hours instead of
the "traditional" one hour.  This is all part of the skill of ride management,
and if there is a problem, should be taken up with the managers.

Joe Long is correct, though, that if there is a conflict, it is policy for the
continuing rider to get precedence.  Don't feel like 2nd class citizens, LD
riders--this unwritten "policy of the vet check" is also applied to 50-milers
waiting for BC judging or completion exams when 100's come through to vet to
about it.  As long as it is not abused to jeopardize your completion, don't
sweat it--deferring to the rider who is still on course is simply good
sportsmanship.  The only legitimate complaint is if you are penalized for
it--ie you are there when you ought to be, and management doesn't "go with the
flow" too...

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)