Re: Negative Treatment Towards LD riders and horses!

In a message dated 98-03-28 23:39:38 EST, horsetrails@inficad.com writes:

<< 50 milers
 intentionally butted ahead of us also, even though they had a 1 hour hold
 and we had to be at the vet within 30 minutes from the time we crossed the
 finish line to complete.   >>

You were finished with your ride and the 50 milers had another 20 miles to do
in the rain.  When I ride a 50 in conjunction with a 70 or a 100 and I am at
my finish, I would never dream of not letting the people who have to go on get
in front of me.  That is not being a second class citizen, that is good
manners.  Just as when I am waiting in line for a porta potty and happen to be
crewing, I let a rider go in front of me.  You say that the 50's had an hour
hold.  How would you like to wait in a huge line and not have sufficient time
to get your horse rested and eating and then have to go out again when someone
who was already done would not let you go first.  Of course the answer to that
is you can always stay extra time but you know that is not really what anyone
wants to have to do.  I am really sorry, but this is one reason why limited
distance riders are not always treated politely.  They don't act it sometimes.
If you really just wanted to know where your place was when you crossed the
finish line, I am sure the timers could have told you that.   You are right, I
did not start by riding LD rides.  There were none in 1974 when I started
riding.  However, I did do one about 10 years ago and I didn't like it because
it was over too soon.  If LD is what you want to do, so be it.  But try to
think what it is like for the other person.  A good friend of mine came into
the 25 mile point in 4th place and didn't realize what a bottleneck it was and
went to her trailer to take care of her horse.  When she went to vet in there
were about 30 25 milers in front of her and only 1 vet.  She asked if she
could go first and they all said no.  She ended up finishing in the 20's and
missed a chance at her first BC.  It is a bore to stand in a long line whether
under the hot sun or rain, but when you are done with the ride, you have
nothing better to do.  The longer distance riders have to go on.  Think about
it. I used to think we should not even have 25's and then talked to people who
could not do the longer distances due to physical limitations of themselves or
their horses and I changed my mind.  I am fast approaching the point where I
may be limited to the shorter distances, however, I hope I will remain a good
sport.....Maryben