How slow is a 'slow' pace?

Hi- I'm beginning distance riding with my young horse and frankly I find some
of the CTR rules silly and sometimes downright not in the horses' best
interest. SO my question is, how slow is a 'slow' pace in an endurance event?
If I went 6 or 7 mph would I be greeted by dismayed management at the finish
line? Is there ever a maximum time limit? Thanks- Amy