Loose ligaments

Help. Had the vet out today and he said my horse has loose ligaments in his
stifle. He had been slightly off after a slip and then some dressage lessons.

I had been riding only sporadically over the winter. Like maybe twice a
week. So the options he gave me were/are a) slowly re-muscle him up, b) an
internal blister to tighten the ligaments, and c) operate to tighten them up.

We settled on wait and muscle up more, put him on MSM. No circles or lateral
work for now. And, either ride or don't ride. Like wait for spring, then
ride him regularly.

So now that he's left? Why wouldn't I go ahead with the internal blister
now. Pros?  Cons? Would that help him in the long term?

Just a further PS, I have been slowly doing everything wrong this winter.
Borioum on his shoes all around (usually start training barefoot and them
move to Mustad's), riding only once or twice a week (Usually ride 4 times a
week legging up at a walk for about 3 weeks in the spring and laying off
altogether in winter), putting him in a stall at night(trace clipped him for
the last ride of the season normally he is in and out at will all the time).
Any comments are welcome.
Dolores
Braken Schips / Entwoond Racing Siberians - Morgans Too!
"Authority without domination, Love without subservience, Respect without fear"