Re: Potomic Fever!

I would like to ask any one who has had a problem
with PF to take the time to give me some feed back!
My vet confesses the shots do not prevent it nor do
they know if having the shots helps when the horse
gets it.  He did not realize so many horses had gotten
it in 1996. There is a study going on with vets, him
included any information would be appreciated. My
experience was in Aug of 96  my friend and I had gone
on a pleasure trail ride  the second day a bunch of
horses came up and joined us along a gravel road her
horse got upset and she went ahead in doing this missed
a trail turn   another rider did the same thing so they ended
riding together   got to lunch when it was being packed up
and they were leaving.  Ate, continued on, ran into hornets
other rider got thrown and horse took off. they got the horse
back managed to get back to ride camp after hours.My
friend handled the other riders horse, her horse nosed the
other horse. When they got back other riders helped the
rider who got stung with her horse handling it working around
etc.My friend took her arab home, it was off its feed for a few
days, BUT both her Appys got deathly ill and she almost lost
one.The other riders who helped the woman brought it back to
their barns. It was now getting out of hand. We were suppossed
to go to the NJ DEVIL but because her horse had gotten to sick
we had changed our minds  Then we heard other riders picked
the bug up there.
Do you feel it is like shipping fever? where contact with horse or
rider can spread it. Do you think it is air born?
If you have had any problems with this Please tell me what part
of the country your from, how sick were your horses? And if you
felt you picked it up at a ride like my friend.I would like to pass the
information onto to my vet and would appreciate any help you can
provide.

Thank You
Marcy Gamester
Equine Respiratory Consultant