Re: New generation

REPLY TO 03/22/98 05:24 FROM ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: New generation

My daughter was the same way...I bought her a shetland/mini horse cross.
BIG MISTAKE! Then I bought her a welsh. 2ND BIG MISTAKE. I finally got
smart and bought her a very small (~13 hand) Crabbet (?) mare who had the
patience of a saint and was absolutely bombproof. I won't ever buy another
pony for a young child. An older child maybe...

Just my .02 worth.

Stephanie Wind McCray
Visions of the Wind
3307 S Sarnoff Dr
Tucson  AZ  85730
520-296-4625
wind@visionsofthewind.com
http://www.visionsofthewind.com
----------

I have been very very happy with our Welsh pony, she has taught both
my kids how to ride and been very patient and bombproof.  I believe
it is the individual rather than the ponies vs. horses argument.

However, given the choice of a pony or horse for a younger child
ages 6-10, I still prefer the pony and here is why.

1)  Pony is closer to the ground in case they fall!
2) Child can learn to totally groom, bridle and saddle by themselves
3)  When they drop the waterbottle on the trail, they can get off
    by themselves and get back on!
4)  They are a better match as far as body-to body size.  The
child's little legs aren't spread out as much, and they fit the
barrel of the pony better.
5)  A pony is likely to have better legs and feet.
6)  I have found they are smart and surefooted, and have a great
    self-presevervation instinct (not going to jump off a cliff
    because their buddy left.)
7) the pony costs less to feed, and may not need shoes!

That said, my friends very small daughter learned to ride on a
good-sized horse (a wonderful, babysitter horse).  However, now that
daughter likes to ride the 13.3 hand pony!  In 25 some-odd years of
dealing with horses and ponies, I do not believe that ponies are any
nastier than horses.  The worst I have seen in disposition are my
big Arab cross mare, and a neighbors appaloosa mare.

That also said, it is REALLY important to have your eyes opened
about your horse or ponies behavior and your child's ability to
handle them. I do know some kids that were put on horses that were
not dead-calm and bombproof.  It if not fair to put a child on a
horse that is going to jig or rear. It's a good way to turn your
kids off to horses or get them hurt!\

I also agree not to look at specific breeds!  Gets too expensive and
I don't think you have any better a chance or finding a gentle
individual.  Here in the California, you run into Welshes, POA's,
Quarter Ponies, and small arab crosses.  I personally believe that
shetlands are too small, and in order to ride with the parent, the
poor child on the shetland will get jogged to death.  With out
Welsh, even though I am 6 ft., I can hop on her and do schooling or
a trailride.

Karen

!

To:  ridecamp@endurance.net