Re: Weed-free hay

I have hauled frpom east cost to west and from north to south.  When I drove
through the Tetons (Wyoming) last year and even through the Big Horns, I saw many
signs that said I was not even allowed to DRIVE through without certified
weed-free hay.  I camped in several places.  NO ONE ever checked my hay.  I had
brought hay from home and I can assure you east coast hay is NOT weed-free.

I think the idea is sound, but it is another one of those unenforcemable ludicrous
laws that really won't make a difference anyway.  As far as horses being feed
weed-free hay when they already have hsy in their gut which may not be
weed-free....Canyonlands Park in Utah requests that you switch feed 48 hours
before.  Only plaxce I ever saw that made some sense...

But think about it?  I know I don't change my horse's feed drastically...I do it
gradually..else I have oproblems...such as my mare tying up on a Montana rfide
last September..did blood work..calcium deficiency...I could not find good alfalfa
hay (certified weed-free) so fed what I could (more grass hay).  Hence her body
was depleted.

For the future...I will feed ONLY pelleted hay and grain and have my horses used
to it long before the trip.  But, then, I will have to haul enough of it myself
and not rely on buying any on the road..

Teddy

CMKSAGEHIL wrote:

> I agree that the whole certified hay thing is one of those nice idealistic
> ideas that is absolutely ludicrous to legislate and enforce.  Anybody who is
> at all careful about their horses does not by garbage hay anyway, so there
> really isn't as much rationale as the Sierra Clubbers and various lobbies
> would have us believe.  As I stated in an earlier post, I am fortunate to live
> in an area where we can generally get the local hay "certified"...
>
> Heidi

begin:          vcard
fn:             Teddy Lancaster
n:              Lancaster;Teddy
org:            RUNNING BEAR FARM, INC.
email;internet: Teddy@runningbear.com
title:          President
note:           "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want  to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln    "Our government has no character"
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard