RE: Athletic value of horse back riding - reply from a fossil

On Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:27:59 -0600 you wrote:

> [...]
finally rode yesterday for first time in about 8 yrs. .......  He also
decided it was hard work and running was easier.
        My dressage instructor gave her aerobics instructor a lesson to
prove thaat riding was exercise.  She also agreed. <<<<<

        It's also pretty decent cardiovascular exercise ----  In the early
'80's, while still living in PA, I decided that I needed some complementary
exercise and joined an Aerobics Dancing class with a friend some ten years
my junior.(it wasn't "low impact" in those days and I hadn't yet discovered
Scottish Country Dancing).

        The instructor looked a bit worried when she saw me and warned me
about not exceeding my "target" pulse (derived by some unfathomable -- to me
-- equation involving X beats plus or minus or divided by my age -- whatever!)

        O.K., no big deal -- I figured I'd bounce around until I knew I had
a heartbeat and then check -- Noooo way could I get up near that heart rate.
The rest of the class was huffing and puffing and I was beginning to worry
that I had some crazy metabolic disease (I am an "easy keeper") and that
maybe I'd better run for a check up.

        After all, when I'd asked my doctor about the benefits of riding as
an exercise, he'd said, "Fine -- for the HORSE!"

        Well, back in those days, in the Philadelphia area, there was a
call-in Sports Medicine radio program, and that evening while I drove home
from aerobics concerned about my "condition", the doctor officiating on the
program was inviting calls from our suburbs.

        When I got home, I called  (the theme that night was basketball knee
injuries). When I explained to the receptionist screening the calls that I
had a concern about my inability to raise my heart beat in an aerobics class
when "all" I did for other exercise was to ride my horses in preparation for
3 day 100 mile competition, I was moved up to next call.

        First of all, I was impressed that the good doctor actually knew
about my sport!!  He asked if I were getting ready for the ride in Hot
Springs the next month! (I think the VA 100 is one of the least known).  No,
I was preparing for NJ in May.

        The doctor went on to explain that with all the exercise I was doing
with my legs that, yes, indeed, I probably had a well conditioned
cardiovascular system.  He also went on to tell of one of the famous old
jockeys (Willie Shoemaker, I think) who retired from racing, thinking he was
too old.  He decided to join a fitness class, discovered he was fitter than
the younger folks, put on his spurs and returned for several more winning
years on the track!

Barbara (More than eligible for fossil award --- AND though riding does help
the heart rate, you still need to do some running on your own two feet for
the lungs!)