Re: NOT FLUFF/mileage

REPLY TO 03/13/98 22:27 FROM ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: NOT FLUFF/mileage

I find that juniors I ride with do the 50 and then after they have finished
vetting in are out riding around for fun.  Have you ever seen Laney Porter
after a ride.  She sometimes brings an extra horse to ride around after the
ride.  I'm usually dying by that time and taking extra pain pills.  You would
be surprised what even 5 years olds can do.....Maryben

-------
On the other hand........it's pretty awful to see children dragged
on endurance rides becuase their parents don't have babysitters, or
are trying to accomplish some sort of family mileage.

To me, taking a 5 year old on a 100 mile ride could constitute child
abuse!  How many 5 year olds can concentrate on anything more than
20 minutes at a time, and how many take naps?  Also, to expect a
child that young to have any concept of how dangerous a horse can be
is absurd.

Although I allow that there are some exceptional children that
desire nothing more than to spend the entire day on a horse, I do
feel sorry for those that are pushed to do an often grueling and
exhausting sport when they have no interest or aptitute.

I have heard some juniors express that they are pushed by their
parents.......

My daughter did a 25 when she was 8 years old.  Her friend did her
first 50 mile ride when she was 9 (I was darn impressed).  Even
though these girls grew up loving horses, and with, I hope,  gently
supportive parents, there is no way they would have enjoyed doing a
50 mile ride when they were 5 or 6 years old!

Just as there are rules to protect young horses from competition, I
wish there were some age limits on junior riders to protect them
from obsessive parents.

Karen

To:  ridecamp@endurance.net