Re: LD miles, NOT FLUFF, and Endurance Thrills

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 18:02:35 -0800, Mike Sofen <miksof7@gte.net> wrote:

>Tell me, as one who has never ridden horses at night,
>how do they pick it up, or is it something they'll do and
>WE have to pick it up?  Is a horse that is a bit spooky
>by day going to do the same at night?  Thanks.

Horses have excellent night vision.  AFAIK horses are generally no more "spooky"
at night than in daytime, although their riders sometimes are!  The most
important thing you can learn is to trust your horse ... he can see better than
you can.

Along with this, one of my "pet peeves" is people who ride at night with a
flashlight on all the time -- especially a helmet light -- and  don't turn it
off when they encounter or follow another rider.  The harsh, glary, bouncy
shadows they throw in front of *your* horse is something I'd much rather do
without.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net