Re: The Great Debate

Heidi-  WOW - I am so impressed with your ability to remain calm, rational and
relaxed in the midst of the storms that take place on ridecamp.  I enjoy most
of the debates that take place here, although I do admit to deleting many
before finishing just to keep my blood pressure on an even keel.  (Some
mornings it does help to get the blood flowing to the brain - kinda like a
double expresso.)  But you seem to always mangage to see through the forest to
the indiviual tree - thank you!  I think you've just become my new hero and
role model!!

After reading most of the posts, I keep thinking - why???  I have found that
among my aquaintances (even those with horses)- not one person (who isn't a
distance rider) knows what LD/endurance riding is anyway.  AERC means
absolutely nothing to the majority of people.  When someone asks what I do
with my horses and I say endurance they get such a blank look.  30 minutes of
explanation later they now look totally lost and pretty much uninterested.  So
who are we talking to about our lifetime miles?  If it's an AERC member they
know the difference between LD and endurance anyway.  If it's anyone else,
they probably don't care.  I personally love LD because I have time to have
breakfast before the ride (my own criteria for a fun ride) but after doing
50/100 mile rides I believe they should not be counted as the same miles.  I
think Heidi's analogy of 2/4 year degrees is right on.

I am always thankful to finish any ride with mind, body, soul and horse in one
piece.  Especially the mind - I think it's the first to go.

Margie Burton