Re: LDs First!!

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:37:39 -0500, "Micah Callough"
<mcallough@itos.uga.edu> wrote:

>By many of the accounts given over ridecamp you are setting
>an atmosphere were you either do 50's or you are nothing. ...

I don't think anyone means to suggest that if you don't do 50's you're
nothing.  That has never been the point at all.

25 mile rides are a worthwile activity in their own right.  Many
"pleasure riders" would never even consider trying one.  And nearly
every endurance rider has ridden an LD ride at one time or another.
My first ride was a 25 mile ride (called a Novice ride in those days).
The *last* ride I've done was a 30 mile ride.

What we are trying to do is to maintain the distinction between
endurance rides and limited distance rides. They are not the same,
it's as simple as that.

If someone wants to total their LD miles and Endurance miles (and CTR
miles) and say "I've completed X miles of trail rides" I see no
problem with that.  The problem is someone with, say, 200 miles of LD
rides and 100 miles of Endurance rides saying "I've completed 300
miles of endurance rides."  That is wrong, it is claiming an
achievement that has not been achieved.

BTW, a very big "thank you" to the people who have written me
privately expressing support.  I will try to thank each of you
personally, but if I miss anyone I'll at least have said it here.

And I hope this is my "last word" on the subject!

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net