Re: Are LD miles Endurance miles? was Re: NOT FLUFF

In a message dated 98-03-13 09:22:01 EST, Trishmare@aol.com writes:

<< When I do start distance riding, I think I'd like to go for the 100
 milers right at the outset.  I don't know, I've been told by folks who have
 been there that this might not be the wisest course . . . >>

I used to live on a ranch far from town.  We rode to town for 4-H, rode home
again, and then rode for cattle the rest of the day, generally on the same
horses.  I started with a 100-miler--back then they didn't have different
distances at one ride, and I started right off at Virginia City.  It was an
eye-opener, but no problem--I finished 28th out of 92 starters.  If you
regularly ride 50 miles in training and don't have any problem with it, and
want to start with a 100-miler, don't be shy--go for it.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)