Re: NOT FLUFF

In a message dated 98-03-12 10:48:09 EST, SandyDSA@aol.com writes:

<< While this is where beginners SHOULD start, there
 is an increasing number of NON- beginners is the LD rides as well for the
 reasons noted above.

 In my musings (?) I recall people saying I was NUTS for breezing racehorses.
 My HANDS truly believed that this was endurance. Ever tried to balance and
 control a horse with no other training than to run like the devil? It is all
 relative, but in any case, by most any definition, LD is still endurance. >>

Where does it say beginners should start in LD rides.  My juniors have all
started with 50 milers, the youngest at 5 years old, riding a pony.  Three of
them went on to become National Champion Juniors and all of them except one
are still riding.  She is now 22 years old and a mommy.  She won the National
Championship at the age of 11 by riding over 2200 miles in one year.

As far as LD being endurance by most any definition, there is one notable
exception.  The definition of an endurance ride according to the AERC by-laws
defines endurance as "an athletic event in which the same equine and rider
cover a specified course of not less than 50 miles (usually 50 to 150
miles)..."  That, my friends is endurance.  I'm really worried now, I have
hardly every agree with Joe Long before.  Is this a trend.  I know I will be
flamed by this but there are a lot of people who believe that when we can't
ride the 50's, we will ride the 25's but we will then be ex endurance
riders....