Re: NOT FLUFF/mileage

>Fellow Striders:  Regarding Joe Longs comments that a 25 mile limited
>distance ride is not an endurance ride, please consider the following.
>Gees, it sure feels like an endurance ride to the beginners.  Looks like
>one to the beginners, vet checks and all.  Trained like it was an endurance
>event.  Bought the horse todo the job at hand.  Got on Ridecamp to learn
>all there was to know about endurance.  Just seems like a cheap trick to
>the beginners by not counting L.D. miles in ones lifetime miles.  And think
>of this, it gives the beginners a boost, and in my opinion, dosen't hurt us
>old timers one bit.  My Webster Dictionary describes endurance as" the
>ability to last, stand pain,etc."  The L.D. riders did just that.  Keep on
>truckin you beginners!  Jerry Fruth...Hickory Ridge...Standing JABASK
>KNIGHT

I agree.  We're not talking *points*, we're talking miles.  Miles are
miles:  the vet criteria is the same, the speed isn't that much different
(in fact, many LD miles are faster -- wasn't that the subject of some
discussion a while back?) -- why make a distinction?

If we're talking horse mileage, it would seem to be more meaningful to make
the distinction not on LD vs. endurance, but rather on rider weight:  this
horse has 500 FW miles, and 200 MW miles, etc.  But it would seem even
simpler to just say "miles is miles" -- whether gotten in 25, 30, 50, 60,
75, 100 mile chunks, or some combination thereof.

-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky