Endurance Thrills

The question was:  What gives you the biggest thrill at an endurance ride?
	The answer to this for me is the complete metamorphosis that my horse
experiences.  Just recently I attempted my first ride in two years because
I've just had a child.  During my conditioning rides in the last several
months, my almost 10-year-old Arab gelding, Merx, has just acted like a
pain in the neck (even on unfamiliar trails).  He wouldn't listen to me,
had to trot as fast as possible to pass all others on the trail, really
embarrassing stuff.
	I was thinking I had all these troubles with him to work through, but then
I take him to this endurance ride and instantly he is Mr. Business.  He
pulled no crap on me, was a perfect gentleman at all times, listened to me,
moved at the pace I chose.  It was just a complete transformation.  I
remembered during the ride that he'd always been Mr. Business at rides,
never even spooking at things because he just loves the whole process.  He
knows what is required of him and is very serious about the business at
hand (we're not top tenners, just completers) (didn't complete this one,
though, pulled at 12 miles with a bruised heel).
	I don't know if others out there experience this kind of phenomenon with
their mounts also.  But I must say that my biggest thrill in endurance
riding is the complete melding I experience with my horse.  He and I are in
such harmony out there.  Life can't get any better than that!!!!  As I said
to my companions on the trail that day, "This is what life is about!"
	While I'm on this subject I'd like to ask a question about these training
rides.  If I'm not just imagining things, it seemed as though he misbehaved
the very worst on training rides at which his pasture mate was also there.
Merx was king of the pasture when he moved in.  For about nine months, a
four-year-old strong-headed gelding and he fought daily and now the
four-year-old is king of the pasture.  Could it be that Merx feels a need
to outperform this other horse on the trail because of their pasture
relationship, or am I anthropomorphizing a little too much?  I've almost
felt like telling my buddy I'd rather not condition with her and her horse
for this reason.  Let me know what you guys think if you've had experience
with these things.  Thanks, Lori