Sports Saddle vs Soft Rider Saddle

>VervaetP@deruyter.K12.NY.US
>I have been told very bad things about treeless saddles (and have seen some
>with my own eyes).  Endurance riders.....tell me.....how do your horses
>backs check out for soreness after many miles in these saddles?
>Paula

Hi Paula:

I have been having good luck with both of my horses in a sports saddle.  I
ride the same saddle on two completely different shaped horses.  Some
people have good luck with them, and some don't (same as with anything -
saddles, cinches, etc.).

Theses are things I suggest for getting a SS to work for you:  Use the
correct pad.  (100% WOOL!) I use a toklat woolback pad with equalizer
inserts.  I sometimes alternate with a Skito pad.  My horses back has no
loin rub spots, even though he had a full body clip and just completed a
100 miler.  He is as sensitive backed as they come.  Just show him a
coolback and the half moons start to show <vbg>.  Next:  Ride balanced.
The riders weight really is distributed well if the rider is riding
properly.  Some people need the support of a tree, for various reasons.  I
feel that personally I have become a better/stronger rider since changing
over to this saddle.  I can ride 100 miles now and not be sore.  My old
saddle would have killed me!

I've had other more experienced riders tell me that they won't believe the
saddle will work until I've done a 1,000 miles in one season.  I'll let you
know how it goes.  ;^) I've done that many miles, just not on one horse in
one season.  This year, we might make it - we are almost 1/3 of the way
there already!

I have been getting my horse chiropractic adjustments.  Well, not a lot -
only three in his lifetime.  I asked specifically if my horse looked 'beat
to heck' <g>, and how did he compare to other horses.  He apparently looks
just as good as any backyard horse.  The vet (who is the chiro) was very
encouraging and said that my horse looked *really* terrific for having done
all of the miles he's done.  (most of the work done during the adjustments
to start with was from injuries - rolling under a fence, slipping on ice,
etc.)  I haven't ever been marked down at a ride for having a sore back.
(well, maybe *I* have, but the horse hasn't!) <g>

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver, 1330 miles