Re: miss manners

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Karen Allnutt wrote:

> I have not seen anything in the literature about how to keep a horse
quiet> so I was wondering if the stallion riders or anyone else could
tell me how> they train their horses to be/remain quiet.

You correct them for it.  Immediately (so they know what they are being
corrected for).  I use the word "Quiet" at the same time so that over
timethe word itself becomes a correction.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

  Kat,
    Would you do this for herdbound individuals who act up as they
leave their buddies?  And if they ignore your reprimand, would you just
make them work instead (side passes or such?), until they refocus?
    Also, Mystery just had his right hip adjusted back in place by
Sandy Schular DVM and I could SEE the difference.  Follow up of course
is proper exercise and dressage work.  Mystery probably put the hip out
when he went through the side door of a two door straight load 6 years
ago..he was pretty skinny and wild then.  Or, he could have fallen in
pasture at any time, who knows....  He really shouldn't need another
adjustment unless this one doesn't "stick"...
    I do enjoy your posts and will be checking our your suggested books
in the near future.

Kimberly (still catching up on digests)
& Mystery the Morab ("remember, you promised I wouldn't starve
again...so FEED ME!")
Pt.Reyes, CA