Re: Stomache problem

Hi, Karen--

Just like horses, all people are different.  Many riders do well with the
high-tech sports drinks, etc.  I am personally totally dependent on dairy
products to get through the rides, and get nauseous if I DON'T have my milk.
I know other people that get sick eating what makes me feel best.  You need to
experiment with your own diet, and find a combination that works for you.  I
would discourage you from too much simple sugar, though--breads, pastas, etc.
are far better energy sources.  Some people have difficulty with citrus
drinks--for me, at least, the problem is that they are too concentrated.  I do
well with grapefruit juice half-strength, and often carry it in at least one
of my water bottles.  Apples give me gas, so I avoid them, but I know people
who do well with them.  Sports drinks with electrolytes in them nauseate me no
end, but I probably do not deplete much because I tend to eat throughout the
ride.  So--we all have different needs, and you need to find what works best
for you.  One key, though--ride day is not the time to try new foods, any more
than it is the time to break in new clothes or tack.  Experiment with your
diet during your training program.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)