RE: formula for energy expenditure

Based on some research work I did my lab (wind tunnel time donated by Boeing), I've created a revised version of the formula for energy expenditure.

The original formula properly takes into account gross energy usage, but neglects several key adjusting factors.  The new formula is:

Total Energy Expenditure = horse weight + rider weight plus tack + 22 (penalty for not posting) + 28 (penalty for not changing diagonals more than once during 25 miles) + 34 (for not knowing what a diagonal is) + 45 (for wearing a poncho) + 87 (for not wearing an aerodynamic helmet) + 220 (for using a western saddle with a horn) + 270 (for using water bottles that bounce) + 550 (for feeding WAY too much beet pulp) + 970 (for losing a shoe and not noticing) + 1400 (for losing your saddle and not noticing) / mileage times  your actual speed - 30 (for talking to your riding partner) - 50 (for singing "Born to be Wild" on the first loop) - 80 (for singing "I want to go home with the Armidillos" on the final loop) - 400  (for actually falling asleep in the saddle)

The final number will tell you that you either:  a) forgot to start the race, or b) ran so slowly that your speed could not be measured with any available tool.  Happy Trellis!!

Mike "You should know by now I'm joking" Sofen
Seattle, WA