Re: tevis help

Samm, I get thrills when I think of my Tevis experience last
year - so just couldn't help adding a few more comments.

Take your time for the first 30 miles! We literally walked
up the entire Immigrant Pass trail and were passed by countless
sweaty, laboring horses trotting and cantering up the mountain.
After the pass there are sections of unbelievably tough trail-
rocks and boulders, very treacherous footing- we went very
slow here as well. We reached the Robinson Flat check in
200th place! The remainder of the day was a 'normal' conservative
100 mile ride - walked the steep downhills, tailed up the
canyons and made good time when the footing allowed. We
actually made our best time at night. Once it cooled
down we had tons of horse left and really moved out. We
spent extra time at Forest Hill and White Oak Flat letting
the horses eat - probably an hour extra in total - and still
finished in plenty of time (60th).

Before the ride we studied all the past results - made a
guess at where in the pack we wanted to be at each hold,
and used that guess to target our time in and out of each
check. It gave us good feedback as the day went on and
gave us confidence that we were pacing well.

To prepare for the ride here's what worked well for me:

1. Be in good physical shape - it's a LONG HOT ride, and
quite demanding physically and mentally. Get yourself as
fit as possible.
2. Study the course - read everthing you can about the trail.
When you're tired and your brain isn't working, it will help
you a lot.
3. It's well worth it to pre-ride some of the course. We rode the
Forest Hill to White Oak Flat section - and it made a BIG
difference. We were able to relax more as it got dark, and
the horses flew along the section of trail that they
recognized.
4. Attend the pre-ride seminar and listen to everything
the seasoned riders tell you. And do everything they say
to do!

I guess I could go on forever.... it's such an incredible
experience. I can't wait to do it again some day!

Enjoy :)

Steph